Vintage Horror for Vintage Halloween
To fill a room with spooky images nothing is more effective than a projector connected to your PC or TV. Horror movies played on the walls create a unique Halloween atmosphere. Spooky images downloads can be found easily online but for the vintage Halloween experience the Halloween party host has to look for free horror movies from the 1920s through to the 1970s. The following list is indicative:
- Nosferatu (1922). Dir. F. W. Munarau. A silent masterpiece of terror, an iconic horror movie that features the magnificent Max Schreck as Count Orlok. The movie is a free adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula and classic example of a German expressionist horror film.
- The Ghost Walks (1934). Dir. Frank Strayer. Fear is struck in the heart of the dinner guests when the lights go out on a stormy night.
- Scared to Death (1947). Dir. Christie Cabanne. Starring the iconic 1930s Dracula, Bela Lugosi.
- Night of the Living Dead (1968). Dir. George Romero. Classic zombie horror movie.
There are many websites that offer free horror movie downloads. Halloween party guests may be asked to dress up as a character from a particular vintage horror film.
Spirit Photos for Unusual Scary Party Decor
A vintage Halloween party decor would not have been complete without spirit photos. The spiritualist movement which grew in the U.S. and Europe in the mid-19th and early 20th century found material proof that of the existence of life after death in spirit photos. A result of double exposures and superimposition of images, these early photos were made to prove the existences of spirits.
Spirit photos are mostly black and white and feature ghosts or spirits hovering around the living. They can be downloaded for personal use from:
- The National Media Museum flickr group. The Museum holds one of the finest photography collections in the world, among which the spirit photographs of William Hope. No copyright restrictions apply.
- the Vintage Spirit Photography group on flickr.
- Spiritualist websites.
Spirit and ghost photos and other spooky images – stuck on walls, windows or hung from the ceiling with invisible thread – can complement the vintage Halloween decor. They can also be used as party invites or favors. The combination of vintage horror movies and spirit photos can create an unusual scary party decor for Halloween.