These Halloween party ideas are perfect for welcoming the visiting children or peckish adult guests looking for something tasty to nibble on during Halloween. Substitute these Halloween themed snack alternatives to boring everyday candy and lollies.
Mummified Sausages Recipe
These mummified sausages made from frankfurters and puff pastry as simple and easy to whip up but definitely look the part for Halloween parties. They are best served warm while the puff pastry is still light and crunchy.
- 1 packet frankfurters / small sausages
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 18 to 20 pcs Cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cut the puff pastry into thin strips
- Wrap these strips in a winding motion around the frankfurters/ sausages. This should be done in an imperfect manner with a few over laps or tiny gaps left in order to give the ‘mummy’ effect.
- Leave a small opening at the top to make the mummy’s face
- Use 2 cloves and pierce them into the small opening to make eyes for the mummy
- Use eggwash on the mummified sausages
- Bake in a 180 *C oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Ghost Brownies Recipe
Adding fondant icing turns regular brownies into ghostly ghouls for Halloween. These are sure to be a treat for even the trickiest of palates.
- Soft butter, for greasing the pan
- Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar, sifted
- 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces melted butter
- 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- White fondant icing
- Chocolate icing for dotting eyes
- Preheat the oven to 150 *C
- Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow.
- Add the sifted brown sugar and sifted caster sugar
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Check to see if the brownies are done with the tried-and-true toothpick method:
- Insert a toothpick into the centre of the brownies; if it comes out clean the brownies are done.
- Turn the brownies over onto a metal rack to cool though there may be a strong temptation to partake in the brownies, this must be resisted.
- When cool, cut the brownies into squares and place on a tray
- Roll out some fondant, usually used to for cake decorating and cut into 10cm rounds
- Cover the brownie squares to give them their ghostly appearance and use chocolate icing for the eyes.