For tourists from Britain and Ireland a major consideration when flying to Germany to visit a Christmas market should be cheap flights and low airfares whether on full-service carriers or low-cost budget airlines. German Christmas markets vary in size and flavor but to most foreign visitors the differences will not be that significant.
If cheap flights to Nürnberg, the most famous market, are not available, simply pick another city – the Christmas market there should be just fine too. Low-cost airlines are flying to airports all over Germany.
Cheap Flights on Low-Cost Airlines to Nürnberg / Nuremberg Airport (NUE) from London, the UK, and Ireland
Germany’s most famous Christmas market is in Nürnberg (Nuremberg). Fortunately, Nürnberg Airport (NUE) is a major hub of German budget carrier Air Berlin. Air Berlin has up to two flights per day to London Stansted (STN) with connection flights to Glasgow (GLA) and Manchester (MAN). Flights to Belfast, Birmingham, Dublin, and Edinburgh are possible via various European capitals. Nuremberg Airport (NUE) is a mere 10-minute U-Bahn train ride from the old town.
Cheap Flights on Low-Cost Airlines to Cologne-Bonn Airport (CGN) from London, the UK, and Ireland
Cologne-Bonn Airport (CGN) is the most popular in Germany with budget airlines and has numerous options to London, the UK, and Ireland.
- Easyjet flies to Liverpool (LPL), London Gatwick (LGW), and Nottingham-East Midlands (EMA).
- Germanwings flies to Birmingham (BHX), Dublin (DUB), Edinburgh (EDI), London Stansted (STN), and Manchester (MAN).
- Lufthansa flies to London Heathrow (LHR).
- TUIfly flies to Birmingham (BHX) and Manchester (MAN).
Cheap Flights on Low-Cost Airline Ryanair to Lübeck Airport (LBC) from London and Ireland
Irish budget airline Ryanair flies up to three times daily from London-Stansted (STN) and daily from Dublin Airport (DUB) to Lübeck Airport. Lübeck Airport is only minutes from Lübeck old town and Hamburg can be reached by bus in just over an hour.
Cheap Flights on Low-Cost Airlines to Hannover Airport (HAJ) from London and the UK
Hannover Airport (HAJ) is another German Airport popular with budget airlines. Cheap flights to London, the UK, and Ireland include:
- Budget airline Air Berlin flies twice daily to Hannover Airport (HAJ) from London-Stansted (STN) with connections available from Manchester (MAN) and Glasgow (GLW).
- Budget airline Flybe (BE) flies daily to Hanover Airport (HAJ) from Birmingham (BHX), Manchester (MAN), and Southampton (SOU).
- British Midland (BD) flies up to three times daily to Hanover (HAJ) from London Heathrow (LHR).
Cheap Flights to Dresden Airport (DRS) from London Gatwick (LGW)
British Airways flies daily non-stop from London Gatwick (LGW) to Dresden Airport (DRS).
Cheap Flights on Low-Cost Airlines to Frankfurt Airports (FRA & HHN) from London, the UK, and Ireland
Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) is only minutes by train from Germany’s largest Christmas market. Unfortunately, low-cost airlines seldom fly to FRA but Lufthansa and British Airways frequently have low airfares on offer from various airports in the UK and Ireland worth considering for the considerable convenience of using Frankfurt Airport.
Cheap flights to Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (HHN) are easier to find but Hahn Airport is a 90-minute bus ride from Frankfurt am Main, or an hour to lovely Christmas markets in Mainz or in Trier. Ryanair flies to Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) from Dublin (DUB), Glasgow-Prestwick (PIK), Kerry (KIR), and London-Stansted (STN).
- Berlin has various Christmas markets – the one in Spandau is best. Berlin is by far the most interesting city in Germany and easily reached on cheap flights from the UK.