London, of course, was the setting for “A Christmas Carol,” so many travelers love to visit the capital for Christmas and New Year’s, often traveling elsewhere in Britain during the week between. Many come early to shop in the busy streets, brightened by holiday lights.
Latest London Holiday Bargain Rates for Shopping, Staying
- Save half on Nov. 27, 28 and 29 at The Goring Hotel in London’s Belgravia. Tucked away in a side street behind Buckingham Palace, the Goring is charging $207/£125 per person—a saving of $242/£146.75–for an overnight stay with dinner and cooked breakfast on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, Nov. 27-29.
- Dukes, St. James, handy to the shops of Bond Street and Jermyn Street, has holiday rates for Christmas through the January sales. Before dinner on Dec. 15, 16 and 17, guests will be greeted by carolers and served mulled wine and roasted nuts in the lobby. On Dec. 15, the hotel will serve canapés and champagne in the Drawing Room, followed by a traditional roast turkey lunch. The festive rates run from Dec. 11 through Jan. 17, starting at $323/£195 room only, or $343/£210 advance purchase rate for the room and breakfast, for those who book a minimum of two nights and pay a non-refundable deposit at booking.
- Headed to London for the shopping, lights and tree at Trafalgar Square? Superbreak has a two-night break at the Grosvenor Hotel in Victoria from $182/£114 per person including two nights bed-and-breakfast at weekends before Christmas, based on two sharing.
Christmas and New Year’s Holiday Bargains Around the UK
- Brendan Vacations is adding a free night to six-night stays in 10 hotels across Britain. The discounts range from $358 per person for six nights at the Thistle Euston Gardens to $1,355 per person for six nights at 33 Charles Street.
- The Macdonald Compleat Angler Hotel, which overlooks the river Thames at Marlow Bridge, Buckinghamshire, has reduced its Christmas packages by $82/£50 per person for travelers who book by Nov. 30. The two- and three-night packages, which kick off Dec. 24, now start at $469/£285 per person, including festive menus and entertainment. Youngsters ages five to 12 pay 50% of the adult price when sharing with adults and under 5’s stay free. Christmas includes a Bucks Fizz full English breakfast and a five-course lunch. Santa will also bring a gift for every child under 12.
- Save $83/£50 per person over Christmas breaks at the chateau-style Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, near Ascot, Berkshire. The two- three- and four-night packages between Dec. 23 and 27 are now priced from $540/£325 per person including festive menus, lively entertainment, children’s activities and use of the spa facilities. Youngsters aged four to twelve sharing with adults pay $83/£50 each per night and under 5s stay free.
- Can you believe the name? Christmas Cottage near Pensilva in South Cornwall is ready for four guests and the family pet over Christmas. The price for the new detached house is $980/£591for the week, with ponies, sheep and a friendly spaniel. The cottage is set in 24 acres of private woods and paddock.
- Choristers, a detached 17th-century stone cottage in Hawkchurch, East Devon, is priced at $660/£397 for the Christmas week. The former village bakery is within easy reach of the local good food pub, and the Jurassic coast at Lyme Regis is seven miles away.
Start Celebrating the Christmas Holiday in Cornwall
- Christmas in Cornwall kicks off at the Padstow Christmas Festival Dec. 4-6, with an outdoor ice rink on the quayside, lights, fireworks reflected in the harbour waters and local musicians caroling around the Christmas tree. The food festival, inspired by Rick Stein, offers free cooking demonstrations and tastings, and stalls of Cornish produce stalls selling local organic fayre. Try some mulled wine, mince pies and even deep-fried Christmas cake. Padstow ice skating is $10/£5.50; ice skating in the “enchanted forest” at the nearby Eden Project is $8.50/£5. Cornish Horizons is offering four nights at The Dukes in the heart of old Padstow from Dec. 4 for up to four people for $272/£164.